082018 City Council Minutes
MOUNTAIN IRON CITY COUNCIL
August 20, 2018
Mayor Skalko called the City Council meeting to order at 6:31p.m. with the following members present: Councilor Joe Prebeg, Jr., Steve Skogman, Susan Tuomela, and Mayor Gary Skalko. Also present were: Craig J. Wainio, City Administrator; Tim Satrang, Director of Public Works; Amanda Inmon, Municipal Services Secretary; Sally Yuccas, Library Director/Special Events Coordinator; Bryan Lindsay, City Attorney; SGT John Backman, Sheriff’s Department. Absent: Councilor Alan Stanaway
It was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the consent agenda be approved as follows:
- Approve the minutes of the August 6, 2018, regular meeting as submitted.
- That the communications be accepted and placed on file and those requiring further action by the City Council be acted upon during their proper sequence on the agenda.
- To acknowledge the receipts for the period August 1-15, totaling $203,869.90 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
- To authorize the payments of the bills and payroll for the period August 1-15, totaling $411,777.98 (a list is attached and made a part of these minutes).
The motion carried on roll call vote, with Councilor Stanaway absent.
- No one spoke during the public forum
The Mayor reported on the following:
- Condolences to the family and friends of Rudy Esola and Stanaway family
- Happy birthday to Craig Wainio turned 50 on August 18th
- Local Female Bowlers, including Libby Overbye, from Mountain Iron won 1st place at the 2018 Division 3 Minnesota State USBC Youth Championship Tournament
- Heliene USA, Inc. in process of hiring individuals through Always There Staffing, Hibbing, MN
- Preliminary budget level will be presented at next meeting for Council consideration
- Letter sent to local private fire Hydrant owners to complete certain forms and documents, as next year, 2019, fire hydrant program will be implemented
It was moved by Tuomela and seconded by Skogman to authorize the “letter of engagement,” with Mrs. Kaela Brennan from the law firm, McGrann Shea Carnival Straughn & Lamb, Chartered, in regards to electric service territory infringement matters with Lake Country Power. The motion carried with Councilor Stanaway absent.
Director of Public Works:
- Culverts changed out on Mud Lake Road by St. Louis County
- Prep work to be completed this year, with overlay scheduled for next year
- City crews repaired sewer line damaged on Friday, August 17th
- Street patching currently being done, as well as valve changes throughout Mountain Iron
- Big thank you to the City crew for all of their hard work
- Improvements done on the Disc Golf site at the West II Rivers Campground
Library Director/Special Events Coordinator:
- Thursday, October 4th “Taste of Mountain Iron,” at Mountain Iron Community Center
- Tuesday, August 21st at 2:00pm, Book to movie “Time Traveler’s Wife”
- No arrests or tickets given at Merritt Days
- No formal report
- No formal report
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to approve Resolution #22-18; authorizing the application to the IRRRB Residential Redevelopment Program for the removal of one structure at 5702 Mineral Avenue (a copy is attached and made a part of these minutes). The motion carried with Councilor Stanaway absent.
It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Tuomela to reschedule the September 3rd City Council meeting to Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at the Mountain Iron City Hall due to the Labor Day Holiday weekend. The motion carried with Councilor Stanaway absent.
The council reviewed the list of communications.
The MIB Quarterback Club requests contribution for their 2018 Ranger Football Season, for assistance in purchasing safety equipment, other football equipment as well as for defraying traveling expenses. It was moved by Prebeg and seconded by Skogman to donate $250 (Red Level) to the MIB Quarterback Club to help with the purchase of equipment for their 2018 Football Season out of the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried on a roll call vote, with Councilor Stanaway absent.
It was moved by Skogman and seconded by Tuomela to authorize the purchase of a table at the price of $160 for the Summer Work Outreach Project’s (SWOP) “Classics for Kids,” Event, to be held on Thursday, August 30, from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. at the Elks Club in Virginia, MN. Monies to come from the Charitable Gambling Fund. The motion carried on a roll call vote, with Councilor Stanaway absent.
At 6:53p.m., it was moved by Skalko and seconded by Tuomela that the meeting be adjourned. The motion carried with Councilor Stanaway absent.
Municipal Services Secretary
- City of Mountain Iron received an award for continued participation as a Step 2 City in the Minnesota Green Step Cities Program
- Grand Opening of the Bridgeview Park, “2018 Bridge Daze”, September 15, 2018 at 12:00pm, located on the Mesabi Trail, approximately 0.8 miles south of East Chestnut Street